Wednesday 9 May 2007

New York Holiday

There are only a few good reasons I have ever considered going on a diet for. Once was to look good for my boyfriend on our first date (because I'm shallow like that) and most recently because I knew I'd be going on holiday to New York and wanted to be able to stuff my face when I got there. So after a not-so-gruelling eight weeks of cutting back, I was finally able to let myself go on the cheesecakes, pastrami, club sandwiches and pretzels.

(N.B. Rather annoyingly I only bought batteries for my camera on the last day of the holiday and even then I kept forgetting to take photos of my meals which is why I have only really have a breakfast, a slice of cheesecake and a box of chocolates to show.)

We spent most mornings at this diner recommended to us by the bloke at reception at the Casablanca where we were staying. Apparently, it was the inspiration behind Seinfeld although we didn't see him there so I'm not sure of the validity of that claim.


This is a before and after photo of our breakfast. Note how the plate which had my Eggs Benedict on, isn't in the 'after' photo as it had to be promptly taken away as we were using up so much crockery that they needed some back for their other customers.


Or maybe it's because we needed a whole plate for the empty packets of butter, jam and syrup - all mine.


Our whole day seemed to revolve around maximising our calorie intake. It was thoroughly enjoyable yet to reach our potential, we had to step back and look at things mathematically.

Wake up early + Go to bed later = Get in another meal

This conclusion might have been a bit more useful if we had actually managed to stay up past 11pm but because of the time difference and all the walking, we were well and truly beat. Walking around did have it's benefits though;

Wake up early + Go to bed later + Walk everywhere = Get in another meal and plenty of snacks

Walking everywhere meant we were able to convince ourselves that we were burning up vast amount of calories and therefore needed three slices of cheesecake every time we passed a deli. The cheesecake below was a fine, if not the best example, of one of our fuel-ups, not that I can remember the name of the place it's from. I did however manage to make a tit of myself by asking the man behind the counter if it was a New York cheesecake. "Yeah, sure!" he laughed. Mustn't forget to make a fool of myself in front of the locals! What other stupid things could I do? Ask the hotel porter how much is a good amount to tip him? Yeah, that'll do.


One of the places I was desperate to visit was Chocolate Haven. After stopping off for lunch in Greenwich Village, I asked the waiter if he knew of a chocolate shop called Chocolate Haven and if it was any good. He said he hadn't heard of it but that I should most definitely check out Jacques Torres on the corner of Hudson Street because it looked like something out of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and does the most amazing cookies. Of course when we get there we realise that Chocolate Haven and Jacques Torres are indeed the same shop and that it does indeed look like the inside of Roald Dahls mind (as do the chocolates).


The pistachio marzipan sticks out in my mind more than the others. Although there was a chai tea flavour fondant covered in white chocolate which was equally memorable. Eating them, however, makes me realise how grateful I am for Belgium being so close to the UK and having such a huge influence on the chocolate back home because as nice as they were, they still don't compare to the quality of chocolate we get here. That still didn't stop me from bringing home a whole carrier bag full of Baby Ruths and Zagnuts though!

No comments: