Monday 18 June 2007

Cowabunga dudes!


I've been wanting to do an update on this pizza for months now but was always worried that a self-respecting food blog would never do a pizza update for fear of never being taken seriously ever again because after all, any old fool can make a pizza. But seeing as I'm not a self-respecting food blog I thought I might as well do the update anyway.

Before you ask, no I haven't put the pizza straight on my dining table. That happens to be an unnecessarily large cutting board. Back to the recipe...

Ingredients
1 pound bread flour
3/4 cup warm water
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 and 1/2 tsps active dry yeast
1 and 1/2 tsps sugar
1 tsp salt

I found the recipe for the base here before you think I actually have the culinary knowledge to make up something this simple myself.

Combine the water, oil, yeast and sugar in a jug and leave for a few minutes until it starts foaming. Stir the salt into the flour. Mix the two together to form a dough but don't bother kneading it - it's not that type of dough. Now divide it into two and put one half in the freezer for next time unless you're planning on eating pizza two days in a row or actually have a 24 inch pizza pan as the recipe states. Like my kitchen is even that wide! Then leave the dough to rest for at least 24 hours although I found it even better after two or three days. So once it's rolled out and placed onto an oiled pizza pan, spread on about 3 tbsps sun-dried tomato puree and then about 6 tbsps of passatta. I like to use a red pepper, a red onion and lots of salami for my toppings and then about 150g of grated mozzarella. And for the love of God, put the toppings under the cheese and not on top unless of course you like dry, burnt-out vegetables. Bake for 12 minutes at gas mark 7.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd recommend losing the veg oil and whacking 1/4 cup of olive oil in instead.

Pizza looks nice although you seem to have ruined it by putting onion on it :(